Relationships are tough. Public speaking is tough too. Relationships take a lot of work to build and maintain. If we don't do the work, then a break-up is inevitable. Just like any relationship, a speaker needs to continually build a connection with the audience! Here are 5 quick public speaking tips to successful build relationships with an audience.
- Tune into station WIIFM – What's in it for me? Anyone who is listening to a presentation wants to know what they are going to get out of it. Tell the audience up front what they can expect to learn, feel, do or understand from your presentation and how it benefits them.
- Tell a story – Storytelling is the best way to connect with people. It allows others to get to know you and transports them to a world where the audience can relate to you.
- Practice, Practice, Practice – The quickest way to ruin a relationship with an audience is not to rehearse. It shows that you didn't care to prepare.
- Be Authentic – Check out my 3 tips to becoming an authentic speaker and remember to be yourself when speaking. Embrace your quirks and let your sense of humor shine! Being yourself is the best way to build a lasting relationship with your audience.
- Make eye contact – For beginning speakers, this is a difficult task – heck for seasoned speakers this can be hard for too! Making eye contact allows you to connect with your audience. They can experience your speech through your eyes.
What are your public speaking tips that build relationships? Take a moment to comment here or on the Relationally Speaking Facebook page
Ready to Book More Speaking Gigs?
The kick in the ass you need to jumpstart your speaking business with a plan and a pitch for your signature talk.
All it takes is 15-minutes a day for 5 days to get on the road to being a sought-after speaker!
Click the following link to read our Privacy Notice.