Who can turn around your day with a kind word or a smile? A brilliant communication quote of course!
She greets me with a big smile, always has a compliment at the ready and is sincerely interested in my life. I love getting coffee from her. If I am having a crap time, she makes it a bit brighter. She does this for all of her customers. She knows their names, their orders, and their lives. My barista is a shiny beacon of positivity and joy.
There is a push-pull effect in all communication. The way you communicate can pull people toward you like a magnet or repel people away like a deadly scorpion hiding in the rug. Every time you open your mouth, the question needs to be asked: “Is what I am about to say going to pull people in or push them out of my life?”
Luckily, there are 13 inspired minds (and one fictional rabbit) who can guide us to improve communication and foster better relationships in these 12 brilliant quotes:
1. “You never know when a moment and a few sincere words can have an impact on a life” ~ Zig Ziglar
A well-timed positive word or compliment can change the course of someone’s day.
2. “Who you are is speaking so loudly that I can’t hear what you’re saying” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Being authentic to who you are speaks volumes. People are drawn to authenticity and vulnerability. Coming off like a slimy, fake used-car dealer (or Kardashian) pushes people away.
3. “If you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything at all” ~ Thumper from Bambi
Negative words traumatize and leave an impression that can last for days. If the communication is going to do harm, take Thumper’s advice.
4. “You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you” ~ Dale Carnegie
“You” is the most important word in any conversation. Minimize the “I” and the “Me” and focus on the “you.”
5. “When you start communicating to change people, you leave a lasting legacy. You profit from your impact, not in spite of it.” ~Dr. Michelle Mazur
Yes, that quotation is from me and my book on communication and brand messaging called the 3 Word Rebellion (which if you're a business owner you can check out here). When you focus on how your words change people, not only does your benefit but people and even the world benefits. The ripple effect is real!
6. “What will they think of me? Must be put aside for bliss” ~ Joseph Campbell
Put aside your worries about what others will think of you and just serve others with your message.
7. “I speak to everyone in the same way, whether he is the garbage man or the president of the university” ~ Albert Einstein
Treat everyone with respect no matter their status.
8. “Don’t be embarrassed by your failures. Learn from them and start again” ~ Sir Richard Branson
Miscommunications and misunderstandings happen! You learn much about how you communicate through your mistakes and you learn a lot about the person you are talking to as well!
9. “The most important thing in communication is hearing what isn’t said” ~ Peter Drucker
The ability to read the emotions and nonverbal communication of another person increases understanding and elevates relationships.
10. “When people act on your message, they begin to change. They don't just change their behavior. They change their identity. They begin to become someone new because of your message.” ~ Dr. Michelle Mazur
Communication is power. The power to change the core of who someone is. If you want to create a message with that kind of wattage. Check out the 3 Word Rebellion.
11. “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something” ~ Plato
Speak with a purpose, not just to fill up silence. Remember: Silence is a gift that allows self-reflection.
12. “Be sincere; be brief; be seated” ~ Franklin D. Roosevelt
13. “The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug” ~ Mark Twain
Words are powerful! When you chose just the right word, you increase understanding ten-fold.
14. “The way we communicate with others and with ourselves ultimately determines the quality of our lives” ~ Anthony Robbins
If you are positive and communicate positivity, you will attract more of that into your life.
Here’s your challenge: Go out today and make a positive impact on someone’s day. Listen. Be sincere. Smile generously. Be generous in praise and compliments. Communication has the power to make a difference and change lives or at the very least make someone’s day more luminous.
Did I miss any inspirational quotes about communication? Share them with me in the comments below.